NOW SOLD! Volkswagen 1971 Early Bay Window Deluxe
Swedish import now RHD and of course tax exempt.
Unique opportunity to own an early baywindow that has been sympathetically restored but also modified to improve its driveability…..yes it steers (steering wheel now on the right hand side) and stops
Looks great with its beautifully restored and detailed body in its original factory colours and all the original VW deluxe trim.
When we purchased this very solid unrestored Swedish import from its first UK owner we decided that we wanted it to look pretty stock but drive more like its older cousin the T25 and this is what we have achieved, by doing the following:
- RHD conversion using all the correct parts, correct year dash (though we couldn’t resist having the front section colour coded) and RHD early pedal assembly.
- RED 9 Design front suspension, this removes the VW front beam and a modern twin wishbone suspension with rack and pinion steering is bolted into place…..means it goes in a straight line and even round corners with dare I say precision…..also allows you to dial in the front ride height pretty much exactly as you need, without ruining the ride.
- T25 servo assisted brakes, nice powerful brakes.
- Late bay discs at the front
- Slight lowering at the rear with modified bump stops and gas shocks
- T25 syncro wheels which are 6J X 14 allowing a good size tyre to be fitted
- A 1776 engine fitted with twin 40 Webber carbs means its performance is strong, this has Petronix electronic ignition, deep sump, full flow oil filtration and an extractor type exhaust
Other modifications are more to do with use-ability and comfort and these are as follows:
- Ebersphacer D2 airtronic diesel powered blown air heating
- 12volt ceramic heater fitted to de mist front screen
- Period fog and driving lamps fitted
- Full width metal framed rock and roll bed
- Leisure battery
- Auxiliary lights, stereo, 12 volt auxiliary supply, Ebersphacer, ceramic heater all run from leisure battery
- Modern Camping pod with single gas burner and sink plus storage fitted
- Fold down buddy seat
- Full Mad Matz seiszel matting through whole vehicle
- Fully soundproofed and insulated using modern materials…..no loft insulation!
- A Paris beetles contrasting vinyl fold back sunroof that is lined and retains the original sunroof sliding inner roof panel (we have the original steel roof and cables…but found a compatibility issue between the sunroof and young children….hence the change to the fold back)
- 3 bow stainless and hardwood roof rack to the rear
- 2 bow stainless and hardwood roof rack to the front
- Retro Sounds stereo and a pair of Sony speakers make a nice sound, compatible with iPod etc
The body has been restored with the following panel work being replaced.
- Small amount of work done to the front cab floor
- Both side under trays have been replaced
- Rear inner sill work to N/S and O/S
- Both rear wheel arches were replaced due to poor previous repairs
- Battery trays to the N/S and the O/S have been replaced
- Both lower rear corners had to be replaced.
All the panels were best quality, professionally fitted. The doors, the sliding door, tailgate, engine lid are all the original parts and not repaired.
The body was bare metaled, all glass and trim removed, blasted as required and professionally painted in its original colour scheme, we had the arches and the under trays painted as well.
The vehicle has been treated to extensive wax treatments to the underside and all cavities using the best anti corrosion waxes.
The wheels and bumpers have been powder coated to improve the longevity as have the original rear gravel guards.
Every seal is newly replaced with top quality replacement parts.
We decided that we wanted to keep all the original trim inside, so all the door cards and interior trim are the original, incredible when you think it’s over forty years old. The same goes for all the chrome and bright work….it’s all original.
So that’s all folks….a truly no expense spared, amazing early bay that turns heads wherever we go, offered for sale at considerably less than we have spent bringing it to this point, sadly for us we have to move on to something new and let someone else take up the story.